In episode 26 it was my pleasure to sit down with Ruairi McKiernan. Ruairi is a social innovator, leader, writer, speaker, and member of Ireland’s Council of State.
I met Ruairi in a building just off Dublin’s traffic-busy quays. When I arrived I noticed a small garden that faced a stretch of the quays I’ve probably driven 1,000 times and never noticed. There sat Ruairi, on a small bench in the centre of the garden, eyes closed, the morning sun on his face.
During our conversation we discussed the following topics;
- What it was like growing up near the Northern Irish border in the 1980s.
- The benefits of trying to live a fearless life.
- Ruairi’s involvement with creating Ireland’s biggest youth website, SpunOut.
- Burnout and disillusionment.
- Meditation and mindfulness.
- The benefits of travelling, both at home and abroad.
- Hitch-hiking and relying on the kindness of strangers.
- Leadership and vision.
- Ruairi reluctantly mentions that he hopes to finish a book soon!
Enjoy the episode, Dave.
You can read most of Ruairi's recent writing on his site by clicking here. You can follow Ruairi on twitter here, or facebook here. Leave a review for the Inspireland podcast on iTunes by clicking here. Watch the song that Ruairi mentions in the interview here. Ruairi also mentioned the haunting music of Colm Mac Con Iomaire, you can check that out here.